Resurrection - Monroe Lutheran Church, Monroe WI
Flash: ON
  WELS
Search   for     

HISTORY

What follows is a history of Resurrection Lutheran Church, Monroe, previously known as Mt. Olive Ev. Lutheran Church.

From the very beginning Mt. Olive Ev. Luthera
n Church of Monroe, WI, has existed for the same purpose - to serve God by presenting his word in truth and purity. Already in 1939, worship services were being held in rented facilities in various locations in Monroe with an average attendance of seven. The high attendance for the year was 12. For five years services were held, but at the end of each year the average attendance never reached 10. In 1944, Eldor Toepel was called from St. Markus Church in Ixonia, WI. Because he was to serve St. Peter's Lutheran Church in Brodhead and Belleview Lutheran Church in Stephenson County, as well as the small group in Monroe, the mission board decided that he should live in Monroe because the city was centrally located among the three parishes that he was serving. This proved to be a blessing for the small group in Monroe. For by the end of the year, by God's grace, our Lord increased the membership in Monroe to 24 souls with 18 communicants  and an average attendance of 16.

The official history of Mt. Olive Ev. Lutheran Church began on February 12, 1945, when seven men met with their first resident Pastor and unanimously decided to attempt to organize a congregation of the Evangelical Lutheran Faith in the city of Monroe. On April 11, 1945, this group officially organized as a mission congregation. According to the final draft of the Constitutuion which was read for the second time and formally adopted and signed on October 16, 1945, the name of the congregation was to be Mount Olive Evangelical Lutheran Church of The Evangelical Lutheran Joint Synod of Wisconsin and Other States. The year ended with 38 souls, 26 communicants, 10 voters, and an average attendance of 22.

Since then, much as changed. St. Peter's of Brodhead chose to call their own pastor. Eventually, Belleville Lutheran Church closed its doors and joined with the Richard-Salem congregation, giving the pastor a round trip of 40 miles each Sunday. Richard-Salem congregation closed in 1979. After meeting in rented quarters for many years, Mt. Olive members were able to secoure their own land, move a former schoolhouse  to the property, and convert it to an attractive church building in 1949. In 1981 the present building was purchased. The dedication service was held on January 17, 1982. Serving as pastors of Mt. Olive have been Pastor Eldor Toepel, Pastor Reinhadt Bittorf, Pastor Kenneth Kratz, Pastor Dale Tollefson, Pastor Michael Wolff,  and Pastor Donald Swartz. Pastor Nathan Strutz is the current pastor of Resurrection-Monroe, previously Mt. Olive.

For these many years God has graciously blessed the members of Mt. Olive/ Resurrection with his presence in Word and Sacrament. To worship and to serve God on a regular basis was the reason for the founding of Mt. Olive, and remains the reason for its continued existence. May God continue to shower his grace on us, so that we may continue to worship and serve Him to His glory.